Sunday, June 5, 2011

Love Dare Update


Hello Lovelies!


Most likely this post is going to be a while posted after I’ve actually written it. The reason being that my modem decided yesterday to die a sudden and very annoying death. Then AT&T decided to give me a HUGE runaround that resulted in five phone calls until I just couldn’t take it anymore. I went to my mom’s room in a huff and complained until I was tired of talking. She then calmly looked at me and said “Well, then just call again and yell at them.” Gee mommy, maybe I’m really tired of yelling and not getting anything done? Kind of what I ended up saying, though maybe a little bit of a not nice way. I was frustrated. Once again, my mom calmly said, “Ok then, what’s the number I’ll call.” Twenty minutes later and four transfers later, she got results. Man, it’ll be cool when I grow up and can do that! Bad side to the results: we have to go and buy a new modem at the store. Did not end up doing it on Saturday, hopefully by Sunday we’ll get it done. One cannot live without internet! It’s rather sad actually. Thank God I have my smart phone so I’m not completely cut off from my digital world.

Moving on, a few posts back I mentioned that Sailorman and I are doing the Love Dare. I might have said that I was going to post my thoughts on each Dare and use this blog as my journal since I can’t bring myself to actually write in the book, and I suck at journaling. (This is actually as close and long as I’ve gotten to a journal, pretty much ever.) That being said, well, obviously I lied.

I have in no way written anything about the Love Dare since those first initial posts about thinking of starting it, and then saying that we had started it. Sorry if you were wondering how that was going. Let me now rectify that and telling you some thoughts I’ve been having about this whole experience.

Number one: It’s a lot harder than I thought it would be! Sailorman is, in my opinion, putting a lot more effort into this. This both makes me feel bad, and makes me feel like “well, yeah he should put more effort now, I’m the one who’s put more effort into our whole freaking relationship for the last twenty months!” Hard to figure out which side I should listen to. However, today’s Dare (Saturday’s) really struck a chord with me.

It’s called “Love always protects” and it’s all about learning what are harmful influences in your marriage/relationship and how to be mindful of not letting those influences poison your relationship. Powerful stuff if you ask me. Here’s a small excerpt:
Unfortunately your marriage has enemies out there. They come in different forms and use different strategies, but nonetheless they will conspire to destroy your relationship unless you know how to ward them off. Some are clever and seem attractive, only to undermine your love and appreciation for one another. Others try to lure your heart away from your spouse by feeding you unhealthy fantasies and unrealistic comparisons. It’s a battle you must wage to protect your marriage when love puts on armor and picks up a sword to defend its own. –The Love Dare by Stephen and Alex Kendrick

Tell me your thoughts on this topic! How do you feel about your spouse/significant other has someone who you think is a bad influence? Do you mention it? Or just let it slide? It’s a fine line to walk on in my opinion, knowing when to talk and when to be silent. I’d love to know how you walk that line!