Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thankfulness

Thankfulness is an interesting word. Thanksgiving is a love/hate day for me. I'm thankful everyday of my life for all that I have, even when I'm sulky, or surly.....or just generally bitchy, I'm thankful that I'm able to live in a country that allows me to be all those things and more. I'm thankful that I have a mom who understands me, who gets that sometimes she does have to just leave me alone, let the mood ride, and then I can be my cheerful self once again. I'm thankful that I have an amazing boyfriend who gets me, even more than my mom does. Who I'm able to communicate with, fight with, and because of the extreme distance, have gotten closer to than I think I could have if we had been able to court normally.

I guess that post sentence as also me being thankful for us being so far apart. I know that what we're going through right now is just a small taste of what deployment is going to be like. I'm thankful that our rough patch happened when it did, because that got us to completely revamp our relationship. We're so much more open and honest about how we feel, that epic fights are bypassed for the most part. I don't know if we could have survived deployment with our sanity intact if we hadn't gotten so much out in the open.

I'm thankful that my Sailorman loves me to distraction. I'm thankful that I'm 80% sure he's going to ask me to marry him this Christmas. I'm thankful my best friend loves me through anything, and she kept the secret of Sailorman asking her for ring advice to herself for a whole 6 weeks before I found out.

Pretty much, I'm thankful that my life is going the way it is. Yes, there's still the who knows if it's X or Y in the back of my head. Yes, I don't know if I'm going to get 3 weeks or 4 this Holiday season. But today I'm going to take a break for stressing, let the Navy do what the Navy is going to do, because in the long run, no matter what I want, or what Sailorman wants, the command will do what the command wants to do.

Oh and one last thankful: I get to see my Sailorman in 19 days! If that isn't something to be thankful for, then I think I just don't know the meaning of the word :)