Thursday, March 31, 2011

Big Sigh, With a Little Eye Roll Thrown In

This is going to be a bit of a rant. Also, knowing me, it may or may not be long......it probably will because I like to talk. I came across this blog post this morning http://sailorsotherhalf.blogspot.com/2011/03/military-wives-please-read.html which just got me......annoyed. This isn't the first time I've come across this sort of an attitude towards this infamous list. Please don't get me wrong. I am a firm believer that everyone should be able to have their own opinions about whatever they want.

However: when those opinions involve calling out and bashing others, I tend to roll my eyes a little bit. Everyone deals with deployment differently, and from what I can gather, the writer of this blog has yet to experience a deployment with her sailor. Deployment is hard. There really is no other way to describe it. Yes there are different coping skills you can learn. Yes you can survive, thrive, and become an incredibly independent and even more amazing person than you already were.

You can also find lists like one Things You Never Say to a Military Spouse that can help articulate what it is that you feel when you get bombarded with question after question about your SO's deployment. I know from my experiences everyone I know wants to talk about deployment, and for the most part, I like to pretend it's not existing right now. I have been asked many of the questions on that list, because I'm from SF, and this is in no way a military town. I answer them all with a smile, a polite response, and I keep the snark to a minimum. Why? Because I know they mean well. I also sometimes give them a "you dumbass" look whenever they ask me a question that they should know just by watching the news.

I'm not usually one to blog about something that I've seen on someone else's blog. However, for me, the thought that someone is out there bashing a post that she has no idea what the author was thinking or feeling at the time......it kind of makes my blood boil. A lot of things that are written in jest don't come out that way in print. This could be one of those times, and instead of taking it that way, this person has written a rant post about how horrible and elitist this wife is.

The last thing I'm going to say is please please please think before you speak. Please try and look at it from someone else's point of view. Please realize that not everything blogged about is to be taken seriously. And please realize that this has been circulating around facebook for quite some time now.