Thursday, March 24, 2011

Time to Put on the Cheerful Face

So, I know that since Sailorman has deployed I've been.....well, let's just say manic. I do tend to hit the depressed button when I'm stressed. It's pretty much my default when things are getting a bit too hard for my tastes. Now, life isn't feeling so hard. That might be because PMS is over and now it's just searing agony I have to deal with TMI? If so I'm sorry lol. On to funny stuff. Ever since this happened I knew that I wanted to blog about it.

As to why I haven't yet: I was super sad and worried because I hadn't heard from Sailorman, whether or not he made it to his destination alright. (He did just in case you're wondering.) Then I was just sad because well, he had deployed and I wasn't talking to him every night like I have for more or less the last 17 months. Then we had a huge fight, which neither or us was expecting, not to mention we're still learning HOW to fight during deployment. A lot of new stuff happening!

Ok for reals this time, the story! Setting: night before Sailorman is supposed to leave. I've got all my stuff packed because I was planning on sleeping over at a friend's house. (Sailorman's roommate is an absolute douchebag and I hate him. I can now say that with certainty. However, another story for another blogpost. Not to mention it's not funny and I want this to be a funny post.) Sailorman and I have packed all his stuff. All of his underwear is packed, remember this for the future, though I'm sure many of you are getting where this is going. He's due to leave at noon, so we can stay up a bit more and just hang out. We decided to get a pizza and rent a movie. So Sailorman put in the order on his phone, we go to 7/11, have browsed the movies and have finally agreed on one. Then we discover: both of us forgot our wallets. Oops.

So we go back the apartment, Sailorman starts freaking out because he doesn't think that he has enough time to drive back and still be there for the pizza guy. Finally I just kind of go "babe, I do know how to drive you know" very reluctantly I'm given the precious keys to the Yukon and off I go, with my purse. I buy us some soda and a king size KitKat even though all Sailorman asked for was the soda. Why? Because Sailorman has this awful habit of stealing my KitKats. Now whenever I'm with him I just buy  king size and we both get our fix. I rent the movie Grown Up. If you haven't seen it you totally should! It was awesome, we both laughed really really hard. All in all, it was a pretty perfect last night. We fell asleep in each others arms.

That morning, we woke up around 8ish and Sailorman jumped in the shower. Once he got out and was looking around, he realized he had packed all his boxers. He was just about ready to start digging into his pelican case when I found a fresh pair over by the tv (don't ask, I have no idea why I left a single pair of boxers there) and handed them over. Crisis averted! I jump in the shower, I get pretty because I want him to have a pretty last mental image of me. We leave insanely earlier because for some weird reason he HAS to be 45 mins early to everything. It's weird and I don't like it. Mainly because I'm the one who's stuck really bored and really early to stuff.

We get on base, we're in the parking lot, and we're just talking about the weirdest stuff, making plans, mocking other people's trucks and whatnot. Trying to figure out which car I'm going to be getting probably around this time next year. 11:40 rolls around and Sailorman decided to give the guy who's supposed to give him the ride a call to see where we're supposed to be to transfer all the stuff. The guy picks up, Sailorman says hey man so I'm here, what time do you want to leave? The dude goes "wait, who is this?" Sailorman and I just look at each other then Sailorman says "it's Sailorman, you're supposed to be driving me today." The dude goes "ummm...." then you hear in the background "who is that" Dude: "it's Sailorman, he says he's leaving today but I thought he was leaving tomorrow" Head dude: " Who Sailorman? Nuh uh! He's leaving the day after that!" Very swiftly we hear Dude say "hey man, let me call you back" click. Sailorman and I just looked at each other, speechless. Me slowly shaking my head, finally I say: are you effing serious?!

Sailorman just started laughing and said, well babe, let's just wait until he calls back. Then you can have your freakout. That man knows me pretty well huh? About 5 mins later we get a phone call from Dude. Dude says "hey Sailorman listen, you're not leaving until tomorrow at 11." Sailorman goes, "oh ok well see you then I guess" and we leave the base. While driving, we both start laughing, because really? What else is there to do when something like this happens? We ended up going to Walmart to guy Sailorman some new boxers, ate some left overs, and watched about 3/4 of the sixth Harry Potter movie.

We ended up with two last nights, the second was rather anti-climatic if you ask me. Not to mention later on that night Dude called a second time to say that they were leaving at 7am instead of 11. Ugh. So, I didn't get to shower, or put on makeup. I had my glasses on, and was generally in a grumpy mood due to serious lack of caffeine. We said our goodbyes. They were dry. I drove back to the apartment and called a cab for the airport later on that afternoon. I spent about an hour or so repacking all my stuff and watching tv. I then flew home, and got into a pretty big funk which lasted quite a while now.

Let's hope that it'll be a while before my next one, but what I'm learning about deployment is to expect the unexpected. Don't keep your hopes up for much, and try your best to maintain as much of a positive attitude as you can. Oh, and when none of those work, have a huge fight, clear the air, and have your SO apologize for being a complete jerk, mainly due to being around boys 24/7.

It's a new chapter in both of our lives, our first deployment. I think I'm going to try my best to blog more about it. Until next time!