For the last year or so my health got turned around. It's actually pretty amazing, and while I am by no means a doctor, I thought I might share what it was that I did to help with my: irregular periods, chronic cold/general sickness, and depression.
My mom's side of the family is all prone to depression/anxiety. It seriously sucks, mostly because I don't want to be take prescription stuff. I tried once, and it just wasn't for me. Through lots of careful research, I decided to go a natural route instead. Most people already know about SAMe and how it's good for the brain chemistry. Basically it promotes the production serotonin which helps keep you not panicky.
What most people don't know is that SAMe doesn't work as well as it could work if you paired it with 5-HTP. 5-HTP is the direct metabolic precursor or serotonin and is important for the production of melatonin, which is what you need for a good night's sleep. Yet another problem I have.
Next on my list of is probiotics. Probiotics work WONDERS for your immune system, not to mention it helps with.....going. What most people don't know is that 70% of your immune system is in your gut, and if your gut isn't healthy, then most likely you're not very healthy either. The last time I was sick was over a year ago! I've had close calls where I felt like I was going to be sick, but after a good night's sleep I was over it. Seeing as how I was like a germ sponge who got sick while around someone who was in the "getting over it phase" this is a miracle!
Last but not least is Maca. Maca is pretty amazing in my opinion. I had seriously irregular periods, since I started having periods. When Sailorman deployed, I decided I was going to go off the pill for six months, and see if taking Maca to help regulate my periods would work. What would you know, after three months, it did. Obviously now I'm back on the pill, but still take maca.
What is Maca? Well, it's grown in the Andes Mountains, and is also known as Peruvian ginseng. It's a hardy root plant that survives altitudes of 14,000 feet where no other plants will. Here are some of the benefits:
- Treat PMS (Mood Swings)
- Menopause symptom relief (Hot Flashes)
- Sexual stimulation
- Nourishes glandular system
- HRT alternative(Hormone Replacement Therapy)
- Increases stamina & athletic performance
- Increases energy (Chronic Fatigue)
- Balance hormones
I personally buy all these things from iherb.com and if you'd like to try any of these, I'm offering a code for $5 off! Just enter PIT248 and save 5 bucks on your first order!
These are just my opinions, but I have had friends ask me what is it that I've done to help turn my health around, so I thought directing them to this would be easier than typing it all out each time.