Today is September 11th, if you read my previous post you'll see my thoughts about what happened ten years ago. It's strange, but the majority of my thoughts about this date do not center on tragedy. You see, two years ago today, I met Sailorman in the flesh for the first time.
We'd known each other roughly a year. However, we'd never actually met. We'd logged considerable IM hours, texts, and minutes on our phone bills. That went on for a year, we were friends. I could say that he was my best male friend, actually he still is. For that matter, Sailorman is my best friend period. There's nothing that I can't tell him, despite the fact that there is quite a bit that he wishes I did keep to myself. (When I'm in agony during my girly time I tend to be a bit graphic lol.)
I'd known that he was moving to Virginia at the end of the month. I had just gotten completely fed up with my boyfriend at the time, he'd blown me off yet again and was basically being a five year who was pretending I didn't exist. I had gotten a reminder email two days prior telling me that my free flights from Southwest were going to expire in three weeks. I made an impulsive decision.
I asked Sailorman if he wanted a houseguest for the weekend. He immediately replied "sure!" I guess he really wanted to "meet" me lol. When I saw him for the first time, I thought he looked really angry. It was actually because he had gotten lost getting to the airport and ended up on a Marine base. He drove me to his apartment and said he was hungry, and where did I want to go. I told him anywhere was fine with me, I'm fairly easy going when it comes to where I'm going to eat, I'm just picky about what I'll put in my mouth. He decided on McDonald's because it's cheap, on the way, and fast. We got back to his place, ate our food and watched a couple of episodes of House.
It was fun. It'd been a while since I could remember true fun with a guy. I enjoyed his company. He listened to me, thought I was funny. Couldn't stop staring at me. I'd never felt so.....appreciated before. Even throughout our horrible rough spots, when we were together he has never failed to make me feel beautiful, inside and out.
When I left Sunday, I didn't want to go. Our talking, which had been fairly steady skyrocketed. To say we were both thankful we have Verizon would have been an understatement. Two weeks after that first weekend I was back in San Diego to tell him goodbye. I honestly thought we'd never see each other again. I thought he was always going to be that charming Sailor I met and had two amazing weekends together. Instead, when I got home I became his girlfriend. Then promptly told him he had to ask me on another day because it was the ex's anniversary. He mockingly said "well why don't we just wait until the first then? That way you get a whole different month" Hence the reason why our official anniversary is Oct. 1st.
However, I still call today our McDonald's anniversary. He has a semi-problem with it, I guess because it sounds like such a sucky "first date" going to McDonald's. I had a blast. I loved it, I love that we still do things like that together. For all my intensely girly ways, I am really laid back when it comes to "dates." I don't need someone to shell out tons of money for food that I could probably recreate and make taste better. I think I've cherished our "order pizza and rent a movie" nights more than the times we've gone out to eat. Probably because I can wear my pjs and not have to do my hair or makeup when we stay home. So, Happy McDonald's Anniversary Sailorman, you are without a doubt the best impulse I've ever followed through on. I can't wait to marry you.





















