Wednesday, September 15, 2010

So Maybe....

Not all doctors are complete idiots. Today I met a rather competent one who seems on top of what I've been diagnosed with. Yay for that! While yes, the numerous tests that I'm now going to have to go through are going to be the biggest pain in the butt ever, at least stuff is FINALLY getting taken care of!

Diagnosis: pseudo-tumor in the cranial cavity.

What does that mean? Simply put: my body is either producing too much spinal fluid/my body isn't absorbing my spinal fluid fast enough. In any case, there's just too much fluid in my body. All that fluid needs somewhere to go right? Typically what happens is fluid begins to build up in the back of the head, where the eye function controls are. The body treats this pocket of fluid as a tumor, but it doesn't show up on MRI or CT scans because  it's not a mass, it's liquid. (This is the reason why I've probably had this for six years and no one has ever diagnosed it before). Treatment: pills. Worse case scenario would be surgery, I don't know about you, but personally I'd rather not have someone putting a shunt in my spine to let the liquid drain. Not only would that be way painful, it just plain sounds gross!

Another symptom, besides blinding migraines, is possible tunnel vision. I guess when you have pressure on the eye controls that can affect your vision! Who knew? Maybe THAT'S the reason why my eyesight started going when my migraines started! My mom's been saying all along that the two are connected.....and yet the brilliant doctors just brushed her off. Mothers really do know best!
 While I doubt that my eyesight will get better one the medication starts taking effect, I do truly hope it doesn't get worse. I can't see the big "E" on the chart anymore.....and that's just plain sad.

Yes, this is a big deal. Yes, I'm kinda scared. However, to be completely honest, I'm just incredibly happy that I FINALLY have a diagnosis that explains so much of what is wrong with me. The Sailor has just been amazing about all of this. When I first told him the news he offered to fly out here on emergency leave. While, yes, it would be amazing to be able to see him before Dec. 15th, I don't think that he should be spending his money on something like this. I'm fine, I'm getting treatment, and all my doctors are FINALLY talking to each other about what the best plan is for me. One thing that did kinda suck was my doctor said I might have to get off the pill.....yeah that's going to suck. Other than that, I'm for the first time in six years hopeful that this isn't how I have to live the rest of my life. Let me just say that this is a very freeing feeling!