Thursday, April 15, 2010

Normalcy, or at least as close as you can get

Because, what is normal about being 3,000 miles away from the man that you love? What's normal about wishing and waiting for the day that he is finally done with at least some of those stupid schools and exercises he has to do in order be able to take leave and see you? In three months might I add? And what exactly is normal about thinking that waiting 3 months is actually not that bad, because you KNOW that deployment is going to be much much longer than that? However, all that being said, I think that I have finally found my normal.....at least for today.

One day at a time. That's how I've heard you deal with a separation as great as the one that many military wives, fiancees, and girlfriends deal. You blog, you spend time on support group sites. You take up hobbies, you go to school. You get a job. Some of those are harder to do than others. The blogging takes time, sometimes it's hard to feel witty and put together a cohesive sentence when you feel so depressed that you're not with him. Support sites can be a very positive thing, but let's face it, for the most part its a bunch of women, and drama is just bound to happen. Where high-strung women are, and trust me, no matter how calm a woman looks or sounds, if she's a military significant other, she's stressed beyond belief. While he might not be deployed today, that's ultimately what he's working towards when stateside. The Sailor is going to schools, doing exercises, and all the fun that goes alongside that to deploy. Women can only take so much stress before it comes out in one way or another.

(And really, do we need to stress each other out by taking offense to everything that is said? I know it's hard to not take stuff personally, but sometimes you do just need to take a step back, analyze what was said, and try and figure it out from the logical side of the brain whether or not that was said to offend you.)

Ok end of that rant. What was next on my list? Right a hobby. What I've found to occupy my time, because of lots of random reasons that didn't pan out, I didn't take classes this semester, and now have to wait until mid-June in order to take some classes during the summer in order to be ready for "real" college in the fall, I am currently not in class. Since I will be going to school and the job market being what is it, finding a job that I know I'm going to be leaving soon is pretty much going to be impossible. Hence the "hobby." I am going to occupy my time, which will probably take a few days at the very least painting. Not watercolor painting, because my depth perception really sucks (oh the joys of glasses) but painting these bookshelves that my mom puts her many knickknacks in. Two are white and two are natural wood. She wants them to be uniform and since she knows that I'm not doing anything, she's asked me to help her out. Its fine. It's not like this is a lifelong dream, but it's busy work. Involves a lot of lifting and cleaning, and tomorrow will probably entail a trip to the hardware store.....and the grocery store since I've been avoiding that too.