Last night something happened. It was late at night, Sailorman and I were in bed. I had finally gotten tired after staying up until about midnight reading my book (it was good ok?) and my beloved had fallen into a deep snoring sleep around 10ish.
Around 2am we were awoken to a pop pop pop. At first I didn't think too much of it, it registered and I was ready to go back to sleep after the first pop. Sailorman on the other hand.......slid off the bed, practically wedged himself under the frame all the while yelling "BABE, GET DOWN!" over and over and over again.
(I should also mention Mickey, our dog, sleeps right under the windows in our room, on my side of the bed. He jumped and ran over to crouch with Sailorman as soon as the pops started too.) (I should also mention that I didn't move. At all. This is why I will never survive the zombie attack.)
Sailorman after waiting a few minutes went to check the windows, finally came back to bed and proceeded to spoon me so tightly that I started to feel like a security blanket. This continued for about five minutes then he rolled over and went back to sleep.
It's hard to remember sometimes that my husband has been in a warzone. He's had rockets launched at him, and being woken up to "pop pop pop" is definitely going to bring back flashes.
It's not a funny situation, and yet it makes me smile. I'm glad that my sweetheart has the reflexes to protect himself, and I'm beyond touched that his first thought (though not reaction) was my safety. Even if I didn't move an inch and was barely awake for the whole ordeal.





















