Saturday, October 8, 2011

Not Being "That Wife"

This might be a really random post. I just woke up, we were up late packing last night.

This is something that Sailorman and I spoke a lot about on the drive to CA actually. The fact that I do not want to become a "military wife" if that makes any sense. I know that I will be a Navy wife, hell, that I AM a Navy wife for that matter. But I don't want to become one of those wives where her identity is just that: a military wife. We all know who some of those women are.

Honestly, I think as girlfriends or fiancees we do entertain the thought and dream of "joining the club" but the more I got to really thinking, the more I realized, making the military first in my marriage isn't going to make my marriage work. There's enough going on in our lives where the Navy is going to be first. We don't need to make the Navy our priority and our relationship second: it's hard enough maintaining a healthy relationship with all the training and whatnot, we don't need to make it harder by not making us first.

I'm not sure if I'm rambling, or making sense right now. But these have just been some thoughts that have been rattling around in my brain since getting married.